Monday, March 10, 2014

Why I call it a "revolution"

A revolution is defined in sociological terms as "a radical and pervasive change in society and the social structure".

Social Evolution is defined as "the gradual development of society and social forms, institutions, etc., usually through a series of peaceful stages."

I am aware that what I'm trying to do for the dogs in the NorthWest Arkansas region is most accurately defined as social evolution but I'm not that patient of a person.  I like the speed at which REVOLUTIONs happen.  I don't want our dogs and pet owners to have to wait 10 more years to find friendlier way of communicating with each other!

So, Revolution it is!

Positive Reinforcement methods ARE being taught here in our area but it's not the norm yet. Too many schools may say they are positive reinforcement trainers but don't hesitate to throw a pinch or prong collar on a dog. That is a tool designed to use aversive techniques.  If you pull it hurts. So, don't pull.  I say, if you pull we stop moving, when you give your attention back to me you get treats AND we get to start moving again!  Before I EVER put you on a leash I'm going to teach you how to walk WITH me. That way when I put you on a leash you'll know where you're supposed to be.

Teaching a sit behavior has, for so long, included pulling up on the head and pushing down on the haunches to make a dog sit. I'm applying pressure and discomfort to you, you move away from it and it stops.
I say, show a dog a treat, use that treat to LURE them into a position without saying a word, MARK that behavior then REWARD it.  If you do this several times, then start using the word "sit" the dog will associate the word sit with putting his butt on the ground!

Old trainers will usually say things like "yeah, but then the dog ONLY sits when you have food and then the owner comes to me and I have to FIX your students".

Yes, someone has actually said that regarding my method of training. What they DIDN'T ask me is how I get the dog off of treats.  By using different rates of reinforcement and different rewards as reinforcement I teach the owners how to get a dog to sit or down or come without having to have food.

I've seen "positive trainers" with prong collars on their advanced dogs. I have heard, on many occasions, that so called advanced dog yelp in pain for not being in the exact position their owner thinks they should be in. 

I have one question.  Why? 

If your idea of a dog is complete compliance without emotion or thought then get a robotic dog. 

But if your idea is to have a dog who loves learning new skills, loves spending time with you, listens when you talk to it AND gets to be a dog in the real world then by all means, join my revolution. 

Mine is not an original idea.

If you don't believe me that training can be fun AND effective please come play with us.  Watch how your dog responds to my methods of training.

I know there are countless personalities of people AND dogs.  My method is not for everyone.  Not everyone wants what I want.

But if you're reading this and your heart and mind say "yes! I want to learn how to have a wonderfully behaved dog  that is happy!" then I urge you to check out this style of work.

There is, in my mind, a place to begin applying pressure to dogs. But that pressure should never come in the form of pain.

So, call or email me if you have questions and are interested in learning about what I do for dogs. 
Let's make Friendly Training the norm in our region!!
Happy Training!
-Shanthi

No comments:

Post a Comment